I fell in love with the post from From remodelaholic.com. She used a new frontdoor and installed straps and metal "buttons". The front door turned out beautiful but I wanted to use the concept on an interior door and make it more economical. And so it begins!
Since the door had fruitwood stain on it with no poly my hubby lightly sanded it keeping most of the fruitwood stain. (We did not want to remove all the stain so all the trim would match the doors)
I neglected to take a picture of the "before" door but I hadn't started on the back of the door yet and it is comparable to what the front looked like. Here is the before:
The door was taken off it's hinges (brass ones) and lightly sanded to smooth down some of the rough spots.
Now for the supplies :
|Stain and polyurethane. Rustoleum has a great stain that contains more color pigments so only one coat is neccesary. Love that!|
|I bought three new hinges although I think it would have been possible to spray paint the old brass hinges. I'll try that on the next door.|
|These buttons are for covering the bolts in newel posts for a staircase. After searching all over Lowes for something appropriate I found these on the bottom shelf in the trim aisle. Cost was $1.80 for 6 and I needed 28. Story of my life.|